What is Specialty Coffee? Coffee is more than just a drink. For hardcore coffee lovers, it is a way of life. People who enjoy having all kinds of coffees are always looking for new, and unique specialty coffees to try out.
If you are coming across the term “specialty coffee” for the first time, then this article is for you.
Specialty Coffee is the highest grade coffee that may be more expensive than commercial coffee, it lets you have an unparalleled coffee experience that you just won’t get anywhere else.
Let’s dig in a little deeper and talk about Specialty Coffee and everything you need to know about it.
What is Considered Specialty Coffee?
Coffee is considered specialty coffee if it is rated 80 or above on a scale from 0 to 100 by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA). This grading is being done after considering the complete journey of the coffee from its initial growth to the complete supply chain till it reaches the customer.
TechnoMono Instant Savings For Specialty Coffee [DEALs]
- 8 Different Blends and Flavors for a total of 4lbs of delicious coffee!
- Including: City Roast/Colombian Supremo/Costa Rica Blend/French...
- Freshly roasted and ground so you do not get stale coffee!
- EXQUISITE ASSORTED COFFEE GIFT PACK: 30-ounce of delicious medium roast...
- IRRESISTIBLY SMOOTH COFFEE: Features chocolate truffle ground coffee,...
- TREATS FOR CHOCOHOLICS: A sophisticated coffee gift basket for special...
- Bourbon Coffee Box Set (16oz) of Bourbon, Malt Whiskey, Rye Whiskey & Rum:...
- Rave Reviews by Whiskey & Coffee Drinking blogs around the world: The...
- Single Origin Beans: We only use Grade 1 coffee beans which score high in...
- BEAN BOX SAMPLER: A handpicked selection of 4 gourmet coffees from...
- GUARANTEED FRESHNESS: Every coffee we ship is roasted to your order. This...
- SUPPORTING LOCAL ROASTERS: Buying a Bean Box supports a community of local...
- ✈️ Travel the World of Coffee! Six 3.2 oz bags of gourmet organic...
- ☕ 🎁 Great Tasting Coffee! No burnt or bitter taste here! Small batch...
- 😝 No Pesticides! We use only 100% organic certified arabica coffee whole...
For grading the coffee, things like beans, region, roasting method, and brewing methods are considered. For example, these factors are going to be a bit different for Hong Kong Specialty Coffee as compared with the coffee made in any other region.
The biggest difference between specialty and commercial coffee is, commercial coffee is made on a large scale and roasted and packed in large plants. Specialty Coffee is made in small stores and factories, catering to the needs of people who are into that kind of coffee. Specialty Coffee uses traditional means of roasting to preserve the maximum flavor and taste of the coffee.
Why is Specialist Coffee Special?
Premium Quality Coffee
Commercial Coffee doesn’t have the actual aroma and taste of the coffee when it is first collected from its origin. Commercial processing makes the coffee lose its freshness and taste.
Important Read: How to Buy the Best Coffee Machine In 2021? [Instant Savings]
Specialty Coffee on the other hand offers you premium quality because maximum taste, aroma, and flavor are preserved in it. You can order the sociality coffee and use the Single Serve Coffee Makers to make yourself an amazing coffee at home.
Quality Maintenance Throughout the Supply Chain
Specialty Coffee is always quality-driven. Its sourcing, roasting, and brewing techniques are more traditional than the ways commercial coffee is treated.
Before rating a coffee as a specialty, the SCA analyzes its entire growth and distribution process. So, the people offering specialty coffee have to make sure that the quality is maintained through each step of the supply chain.
Coffee giants in the world have their plants set in place for growing coffee beans. These commercial spaces are meant to help a company increase its yields and they are willing to do all that it can to make that happen.
Specialty Coffee roasters on the other hand directly source the coffee that they roast from the farmers in a particular region. After that, these roasters use traditional means of roasting to ensure that you get the original taste of the coffee.
It Tastes Amazing
Specialty Coffee is processed with much better care. So, you can expect its taste to be quite amazing. You get the taste of pure caffeine with specialty coffee that you just won’t get with commercial coffee. This is one of the reasons why specialty coffee is more expensive.
You can use these Best Iced Tea Makers to make Iced Coffee or tea at home using the specialty coffee of your choice.
Packing is Different
Specialty Coffee almost always is packed in the form of whole beans. To get the best taste of the coffee, it is recommended that you grind the beans before brewing to preserve their flavor and freshness. This process helps the coffee maintain its unique aroma and taste. Commercial coffee on the other hand is often sold in the ground form. So, it doesn’t have the kind of originality in its taste that you want.
Is Starbucks a Specialty Coffee?
There are mixed views about it. Though it is obviously better than commercially made coffee, its reputation as a Specialty Coffee provider is questionable. This is because Starbucks usually doesn’t have the roast date mentioned with the coffee bags. This is what makes some people skeptical about its claims to be a specialty coffee.
Relevant Guide And Reviews
- How Long Do Green Coffee Beans Last? Definitive Guide
- 15 Best Green Tea Brands For Weight loss In 2021 (Top Picks)
- 15 Best Countertop Ice Maker [Top Picks] 2021 REVIEWs
- 15 Best Juicer For Leafy Greens Review 2021 [Trustworthy]
Last update on 2021-07-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API